Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Lisbon Sisters

This past weekend, I finally got to something that has been on my "to-do list" for awhile now. I watched The Virgin Suicides, and let me tell you, I want to watch it again and again and again. It is now one of my all time favorites for movies.

Before I watched it, I didn't know much about it. All I knew was that it was an older movie that had been loved by everyone I know who watched it. When I finally watched it, I realized that it had so much potential and meaning to it. (It was originally a book, but a movie was made from it.) It is basically based on five teenage sisters named Cecila, who was played by Hanna Hall; Lux, who was played by Kirsten Dunst; Bonnie, who was played by Chelsea Swain; Mary, who was played by A.J. Cook; and Therese, played by Leslie Hayman, who commit suicide. This sparks curiosity throughout their community and a mystery of why they commited suicide. The story is narrated by some of the neighbors which happen to be teenage boys who become infatuated with the Lisbon sisters. They try and figure out why they would commit suicide by gathering all of their belongings, asking people who knew them, and discussing it altogether. Now that you know the story line, you should really watch it! That is if you haven't watched it already.



All photos found on Google.


Let's discuss this.

Why would you want to watch The Virgin Suicides?

  • First of all, it takes place in the 1970's. Who doesn't love the 70's?
  • THEIR ROOM. OH MY...THEIR ROOM! Along with Rookie Mag, it inspired me to redecorate my room which I am in the midst of as we speak. But, seriously guys, if you don't want to watch the movie, you have to watch the movie...at least for their  bedroom.
  • Uhm...the clothes? I don't even have to explain this one. But, 70's style clothes are heaven.
  • They are sisters. And best friends. That is just so perfect!
  • Hey, mom? Can my name be Lux? Honestly guys, I think that is one of the coolest names in the world.
  • And, even the story itself is just so interesting.
Well, go rent it on Netflix, or watch it on Youtube like I did (Shh... Haha SOPA take that.!)

xx Chandler

No comments:

Post a Comment